Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Driving Diva Goes Down...

I'm writing this post with a heavy heart and a majorly dented ego. I'm actually hesitant to blog about this because I feel quite embarrassed but I figure it's restitution for my carelessness and an attempt at righting my karma with the open road. Previous to last night's "incident" I considered myself to be one bad ass driver. I can't remember the last time I had a speeding ticket, parking ticket, accident, etc...and just the other day I gave Nick a hard time about driving recklessly in downtown Plymouth after he received his second speeding ticket in a short amount of time. I have even been known to brag about how great I am at driving while applying mascara on my way to work (daily!), fumbling in the back seat for a CD, (N'Sync of course!), eating and yes I do mean squeezing out little strands of ketchup onto each fry. I have actually changed every piece of clothing while driving as well and I've been proud of it!! Until now that is... last night on my way home from the gym and with nothing better to do then drive I figured it would be a good idea to use up one of my 3-pack of T-Mobile Hifi ringers on searching for Earth, Wind, & Fire's "September" which is one of my fav songs. I downloaded the ringer and was about 1/8 mile from home, driving in my neighborhood and turned left onto Robinwood a little too wide when my phone chirped with the sound of "September" and the next thing I new I was being thrown back in my seat! I looked up in disbelief as I saw the left rear of a silver Ford Taurus wagon a little too close in my headlights. I had taken one second to look at my phone and plowed into a neighbor's car. I was so shocked and immediately threw my phone on the floor because I instantly knew how careless and stupid I had just been. Granted it was dark and rainy and the car was parked way out in the right lane...none of that really matters because if I had been watching more carefully to what was in front of me instead of who was emailing or calling me on my dumb cell phone I wouldn't have hit a parked car!!! Thankfully the family was very nice and Melissa, the 16 year old daughter with the wit of Juno cracked jokes about how her "dragon wagon" would be restored to it's glory so I didn't need to fret. It could have been a lot worse, I could have hit someone rather then something! I know this post is on the serious side and lacks our usual humorous take on a situation but I felt compelled to warn others by describing my own mistake. Just be careful please! No text message or email or phone call is worth reaching for if it means you risk losing control of your vehicle!

6 comments:

Rietveld said...

i actually just read this blog will in the car, on the bberry, driving with my knees. no bumps or bruises? hope you are okay..........

Leigh said...

I'm fine...just wounded pride! :) Thanks for asking!

Marc said...

oh man ... you gotta be kidding me.

Leigh said...

I wish I were...poor silver dragon wagon was just sitting there...not asking for trouble and I plowed right into it!

Schmebber said...

WHOA...(said like Joey from Blossom)...Those darn parked cars come out of no where sometimes!

kelsarch said...

like mother like daughter...