Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cheap and Chic


I've been struggling to find something worthy of this category for a week now. I think it's mostly because I've forced myself to stop shopping (on the wagon for a week). I was horrified to see my bank account dwindle and realized that the only way I'll ever retire is to throw away the Anthropologie catalogs the moment they arrive. If I open them, it will be too late and I'll have fallen in love with every $400 dress or $100 t-shirt in sight. I don't even want to talk about the bags...the amazing vintage inspired leather bags. Ok, back on track! So what is my cheap and chic inspiration for the week? Well, it's something that's actually not cheap at all, but with the right sales pitch and guilt trip, your employer could be footing the bill! It's a genius invention called the "Walkstation" and it's a treadmill desk! Yes, an actual treadmill that serves as your desk! Are all you office workers with me?! I spend 8 hours 5 days a week sitting on my ever-expanding rump and I'm not going to take it anymore. I'm too young to worry about secretary ass. My job has stolen my perfect vision and I'll be damned if I let it steal my once perky booty. Here are some details:
- It's a height-adjustable, flexible desktop integrated above a treadmill.
- You can answer e-mail, chat on the phone, videoconference, and otherwise prevail at your PC (or mac) as you work off those calories!
- It only goes 2 mph and doesn't incline, so kiss those treadmill injuries goodbye!

A business owner in Birmingham, MI currently uses the Walkstation as her main office desk. Here's what she has to say:
"You don't work up a big sweat," says Brogan, who runs the Brogan & Partners advertising agency in downtown Birmingham. "After a half-hour on it, I just get a little rosy."

And a little bit skinnier!! As of 2008, Michigan is the 10th fattest state in the nation. Nearly two-thirds of Michigan residents need to lose weight; 27.7% of state residents are obese, and 36% are overweight. And I bet 99% of them are office workers. Employers are really jumping on the "a healthy employee is a productive employee" bandwagon lately (not to mention the money they would save on health insurance for all the obese people). Why not pitch this miracle desk to your employer?? It's easier than installing an office gym, cheaper than paying for health insurance premiums, and is sure to boost employee morale. Each unit costs about $4000, but think of all the lives (and tushes) that could be saved in the process. I have already forwarded the information along to our HR person and I expect to have a treadmill desk installed shortly. I'll just have to make sure they custom-fit it with an easy access drawer for all my Halloween candy. God knows I need my 3pm Almond Joy break.

Check out the Detroit Free Press article:
http://freep.com/article/20081007/FEATURES01/810070388

2 comments:

Brad Rhoads said...

Please join our community of treadmill desk users at http://officewalkers.ning.com.

The Iron Squirrel said...

haha, I love that someone commented for an office walkers union. And I can't even get my office to buy me some decaffinated lemon lime sugar free soda. I doubt they'll go for the treadmill. Plus, work is my excuse to be lazy 9 hours a day. I cant give that up!