Monday, October 13, 2008

Beer


We recently had a request from one of our readers, who happens to go by the screen name Awesome, for a beer review post. I happily agreed to write about something that our poor tortured male readers would be interested in checking out. FYI: We are trying to expand our horizons and reach beyond the usual girl chatter, so we will embrace guy topics like football, beer, hot chicks, and tacos. Keep those requests coming.

Today, I have good news and bad news for you, Awesome. Good news: I did drink beer this weekend and enjoyed several different varieties. Bad news: I don't remember the name of a single one. Well, that's not exactly true. I went back to the old standby Newcastle for a couple pints. Otherwise, I really broke some new ground on the beer drinking front. I tried an international tasting sampler at the Box Bar in Plymouth that featured 4 different selections from their vast and beautiful cooler of beer. I liked letters A, B, and C, but didn't enjoy D that well. Wait - the name of D just came back to me. It was Lindeman's Cassis, which tasted almost exactly like Lindeman's Framboise. It was fruity and juicy and not something one would want in a pint. I think many ladies who don't normally enjoy beer would like Lindeman's Framboise or Cassis because of the raspberry flavor, so it probably has an audience.

My beer review is really sucking right now so here is my promise. I will go back to the Box Bar sometime soon with a pad of paper and take notes. I don't have any technical knowledge whatsoever, so the review will likely consist of drinkability ratings or maybe just alcohol content. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, I highly suggest visiting the Box Bar to try out the beverages for yourself. It doesn't have much in the way of ambiance (unless you like flourescent lighting and giant screen TVs), but the beer list will not disappoint. Try playing my favorite "Around the World" drinking game. You flip open the beer binder, close your eyes and point. No peeking. Whichever beer your finger lands on is the one that you have to drink. Yes, Pakistani beers are fair game! You might just find a diamond in the rough or you might never drink again. Either way, it's an adventure!

2 comments:

awesome said...

Well, it's a start. Hopefully more to come??? I too am a fan of the Box's beer menu, but not so much the ambience. Nachos ain't too bad though.

Lisa said...

So for a second I thought you just schooled me in the correct spelling of ambiance. I freaked and googled the word immediately and you know what? We are both correct! Apparently you can spell it either way. Who knew?! Ambiance is the french spelling and is widely used abroad, but ambience is just as correct. Anyways, I promise to drink tons o beer in the near future and embarrass myself thoroughly with a sub-par review. :)