Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Diary of a Newlywed....homeowner tales

A few months ago I was looking forward to jointly owning a home with my hubbie, now I see what an ignorant fool I was. So far as the "homeowning" goes it's been mostly cleaning, remodeling, tiling, weeding, fixing, etc...and somehow I seem to always get the worst jobs! Now granted Nick and I don't have your typical husband/wife relationship, he enjoys cooking while I enjoy organizing and fixing stuff, like a leaky faucet or something simple. In fact, let me share one of my favorite stories with you to illustrate this point, (sorry Nick, you know I love you!), early on in our relationship I came over to see his new home and was excited to see he had a garbage compacter, (it's the simple things in life people!), so I flicked the on button to see it work and nothing happened. Nick wasn't present so I mentioned it later and watched as he walked over to the sink, turned on the water and flipped the switch for the garbage disposal which of course whirred into action. I wasn't sure if he heard me correctly so I repeated myself and said, "no honey, I said the garbage compacter isn't working." He looked at me quizzically and flipped the switch on the garbage disposal again letting the noise go on for a few seconds as if to prove me wrong. To say I was dumbfounded is a bit of an understatement, I mean who doesn't know the difference between the garbage disposal and compacter?!? Turns out he didn't even know he had a garbage compacter and he didn't know what to do with it. I tried to show him how it worked even though the damn thing wouldn't turn on but I think it was wasted on him; apparently he prefers good ole trash bags sitting on the floor. And who doesn't thoroughly enjoy the sight of Taco Bell and Subway remains spilling out onto the kitchen floor!?! So nearly 4 years have gone by since initially trying to use the garbage compacter and the poor thing has just sat there allegedly broken, according to Nick, who wouldn't call in a repair service to have anyone take a look at it. Well imagine my surprise when just the other day I flicked it on for the helluva it and it came right to life!! I don't know if it needed a break, I don't know if Nick ever actually tried using it in the last 3.5 years but it miraculously compacts like a champ!! So now I'm totally in love with it, I love seeing how it takes an empty Metamucil bottle, which we have weekly thanks to Nick's fiber addiction, and a few empty cereal boxes and compacts it into practically nothing, it's amazing!!! I just wish I could get Nick on board because he all but refuses to switch over to it! Is it really that difficult or time-consuming to step on the lever that causes the compacter to slide out?? Just do it! I'm going to try hiding the regular trash bags and can and see if he'll use the compacter or just dump his trash on the floor...I'm not optimistic!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

The trash compactor is alive?!! It's a miracle of Brentwood. When I graced this household with my presence several years ago I found that random machine in the wall to be so mysterious. I usually stood up against it, accidentally turned the switch on with my butt, and then three days later would realize that little red light was on. I never really understood what that thing did, but I'm glad it's working nicely now!

Marc said...

that's a total nick move, unbelievable ... i can totally see you bringing him up to speed. i must try this thing the next time i am over.

the roe family said...

i love...
maybe it just needed a break
good times!