Sunday, December 28, 2008

Trying to Quit


I am getting old and grumpy - it's official. You know how I know this? I went out last night to the Magic Stick in Detroit to see a band or three and spent a solid majority of time wishing evil upon smokers. The show was great and I still had a fantastic time and all, but I can't help but wonder why these places are still filled to the ceiling with smoke every night. I'm sure some of our out-of-state readers are enjoying the smoke-free atmosphere, but here in Michigan it seems like there is no end in sight. I really haven't been paying attention to the fine print, but I know the bill to ban smoking indoors was just shot down yet again. Someone in the cigarette industry is surely giving someone in the government industry some serious cash money. Meanwhile, us non-smokers are being bombarded with second-hand fumes every time we set foot in a bar. Honestly, my main gripe isn't the threat of lung cancer (although that is a valid reason to draw complaint)...my main issue is more immediate and more superficial. I am SICK of coming home reaking like stinky stinky icky cigarettes! I don't go shopping for new clothes thinking...mmm can't wait until this new shirt smells like a bowling alley. And I certainly don't spend time and effort getting ready to go out to have my hair smell like an ashtray 10 minutes later. Now I'm not here to pass judgement on those who still smoke, but I'd like offer up a question or maybe just a random thought. I think the whole logic behind smoking is lame. Might sound weird, most people would probably say smoking was dumb because of the health issues, or smoking is gross because you smell, but I say it's just lame. Why did anyone ever smoke a cigarette to begin with? Where were you when you first smoked? I was 15 years old in my older guy friend's car in a parking lot of a concert...and I thought it was cool. As I surveyed the crowd last night I couldn't help but wonder where each of these 20-somethings were when they first started smoking. I'm guessing it wasn't a situation too different than mine. Surely they were young and knew someone that smoked and one thing led to the other and suddenly they felt rebellious. Now according to the data, nicotine is highly addicting so at some point that kicked in and the habit formed...ok fine. But my theory stands that the only reason anyone starts smoking is because they think it makes them look cool. And to me, at 27, that's just kinda lame. Case in point: there was a guy standing next to me last night who likely went through half a pack of cigarettes in the hour the band was playing. One after the other, blowing smoke in my general direction. If this guy smokes that much in any other setting I don't think he'd have room in his lungs for oxygen. Maybe he was at the Magic Stick with his friends and something in his brain said "must continually smoke while band is playing...don't know what to do with hands." I couldn't help but notice the annoyed look on the girl's face in front of me though everytime a puff of smoke went right to her face.

I think that's it for my anti-indoor smoking rant today. I'm just bummed that every time I catch a whiff of my hair right now I inhale more smoke than the 18 year olds in front of me with the cigarettes. I say if you want to smoke, then please do, but do it with etiquette and manners. Sure it gets cold here in the winter, but maybe you could wait an hour until the show is over and then commence chain smoking. In my humble opinion, it really isn't sexy or attractive and it basically reminds me of the girl I saw last night with the tattoo across her entire chest. It might look badass when you're 20, but imagine how gross that's gonna be when you're 50!

NOTE: The picture of Brad Pitt smoking in Fight Club is an exception to everything I just said. He looks incredibly sexy and hot and I wouldn't mind one bit if I came home smelling like his second-hand smoke.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you put your PBR bottle down and that kid tripped on it...

Lisa said...

lol...it was a complete accident

Anonymous said...

Yes, a complete accident where the bottle was strategically placed by his feet.