Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 - I'll Miss You

Can you believe today is NYE?! I know I can't. It really snuck up on me this year and I haven't even had a chance to reflect on what has passed. As you all know, it's an unwritten rule that all blogs MUST do a "Top #" of favorite things list or else something terrible happens. I really struggle with Top lists, so I am going to give it my best shot. I will certainly leave something amazing and life changing out and will forever regret my selections, but I have to start somewhere. Without further delay, I give you my most favorite things and moments of 2008 - as far as I can recall.

In no specific order unless specifically mentioned in order:

My 5 Most Favorite Movies:

- Slumdog Millionaire
Now this is a love story! If only a guy would survive poverty, thugs, guns, the slums, and a wacky Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire for me! The movie rocks and so does the soundtrack.

- Mamma Mia!
Yes, it's a cheesy musical based on the songs of ABBA, but I cannot deny how freaking happy this movie makes me everytime I watch it (twice now). It's an hour-and-a-half of happy pills and who couldn't use that every now and then? I've never seen the play, but the movie is a blast. Guys - you will probably want to steer clear of this unless you secretly love musicals.

- Burn After Reading
I'm a sucker for a dark comedy and this definitely fits the bill. I'm just amazed that the Coen Bros. followed up No Country for Old Men with this piece of disturbing hilarity (wait, maybe I'm not...disturbing seems to be a key word).

- The Dark Knight
I really really don't like comic book action movies. I don't know why, but I've never been a fan, dot dot dot until now! I didn't see the first Christian Bale Batman movie, but I certainly saw the second. Heath Ledger was an amazing mess as the Joker and certainly deserves his post-humous Oscar nod. I was a solid Jack Nicholson Joker person until this movie and now I've gotta go Heath. I won't even get started on Christian Bale...but I enjoyed his umm...performance.

- Role Models
So maybe I didn't see that many "smart" movies yet this year (more on that in a second), but this movie was hilarious. I'm talking like first time you saw American Pie hilarious. The little kid in the movie is a laugh a minute and McLovin comes through yet again with his dorky underdog schtick. I'll never look at Dungeons & Dragons freaks the same way again.

I think this list would surely change if I had the chance to see the following movies before today:
Milk
Frost/Nixon
Doubt
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Rachel Getting Married
Revolutionary Road
The Reader

Up next: My Favorite Books

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strike two on Momma Mia.....i swear to God Lisa...

Lisa said...

Oh nooo!! Am I walking on thin ice here?? Why have we known each other for so long, yet I keep surprising you? I still like cool kid things I swear!

Leigh said...

I'm totally with you on Slumdog Millionaire and The Dark Knight, those are my top 2 for the year but I just watched Mamma Mia again and it was kind of awful...the excitement of seeing it in guy free movie theater was just ruined by watching it with the Brandon men.

Lisa said...

I can imagine! There has to be a rule about no guys around when you watch Mamma Mia or you won't get the full effect. BTW, welcome back! Now get blogging!