Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Interesting Article - Liberal Warning!


I was about to post another Oasis quiz, but realized that the blog is quickly becoming nothing but Oasis trivia. So I thought I'd take this moment to deflect attention from the Gallagher brothers and onto something more current event-ish.

Now I'm not here to blab on and on about political/moral issues, but I wanted to share a link to a really interesting Newsweek article about gay marriage. It's this week's cover story so maybe you've already seen or read it. I read it a few days ago and thought it was super interesting and noticed a follow-up bit today about all the responses they are receiving on it from both conservatives and liberals. It's obviously touched a nerve. The basic premise of the article is deconstructing what the Bible says about gay marriage, if anything, and why lots of religious conservatives use the "Bible tells me so" reason for not supporting it. It's a fairly quick read and definitely an attention grabber for anyone on either side of the issue. Now full disclosure: yes, I do realize that Newsweek is considered a liberal media outlet and they do support equal rights for everyone. But they have given both sides a chance to react to the story, so everyone gets a fair shot.

BTW, I went to 15 years of Bible school (still in recovery) and COMPLETELY missed that part about Abraham, Jacob, David, etc. being polygamists. Could have been my fault for not paying attention, but somehow I doubt it.

And finally, a big shout-out to JC for keeping it single! Next time someone harrasses me about getting married, settling down, bla bla bla, I'm just going to say "Yeah, well Jesus Christ was single!"

Ok, here's the link:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653

3 comments:

awesome said...

An interesting editorial piece by Keith Olberman on this very topic. Yes, it is a bit overly dramatic at times, but the message is clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHyy8gkNEE

Copy and paste to view.

The Iron Squirrel said...

That Keith Olberman youtube thing is amazing. One of my most favorite things I have ever seen him talk about. He is so passionate. Love it. And also, the bible thinks eating shellfish is an abomination too.

I will settle for science over religion any day.

Spirituality is a personal choice. I don't think it should be governed. And vice versa.

Lisa said...

Hey Jon...are you coming home for the holidays?

Iron Squirrel: I love shellfish...that would be such a drag!