Monday, December 8, 2008

Diary of a newlywed...what a way to start the week

I can already tell this is going to be one of those weeks... I should've taken yesterday as a sign that I'd be much safer faking meningitis today instead of attempting to come into work. It started last night when I dropped the glass jar I was refilling with Q-tips on the top of my foot causing me to slap my hand down on the counter which mistakedly hit the box of of Q-tips causing them to sail into the air before raining Q-tips all over the bathroom floor. I'm actually limping today because my foot is so bruised and sore!

Today started off on a similarly sour note. First I slept through my alarm, which starts going off at 6:42am. I say begin because I am a snooze button addict. I read an article on MSN about how your quality of sleep is better if you set your alarm for the actual time when you have to get up instead of setting it 20 minutes early, like me, and slamming the snooze button 3 times before you actually get up. In my mind it's almost a luxury to set it early and know I can hit it 2-3 times before actually getting out of bed. Either way I didn't actually get out of bed until 7:15am which really ruined my carefully calculated schedule in the morning. I don't leave much time for mishaps so I had to scramble to wash my face, brush my teeth and throw on some clothes to allow me enough time to eat breakfast which brought me to my second problem.

I am a firm supporter of breakfast being the most important meal of the day. I probably haven't skipped breakfast in 15 years and my body is trained to be hungry within 15 minutes of waking up, no matter what time of the day I wake up. To say I'm a cereal aficionado doesn't quite capture my love and obsession with cereal. Nick calls me a cereal monster because I've been known to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Life, Honey Bunches of Oats with Strawberries, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Kashi Go Lean Crunch are just a half of the boxes I normally stock in my cereal cupboard. Apparently I haven't been paying much attention to the depleting boxes in the cupboard because I went to the cabinet today with a craving for Honey Bunches of Oats and found nothing but an old box of Granola which isn't even mine! I just can't be in a good mood when I haven't had my fill of the magically delicious Lucky Charms or Life cereal.

After scarfing down the granola I asked Nick to start my car on his way out. He usually leaves 10-15 minutes before me and even though both our cars are parked in the detached garage it's still nice to have it toasty warm. He grabbed my keys, kissed me goodbye and headed out the door. 10-15 minutes later I locked the doors from inside the house and walked out to get in my car. The first thing I noticed as I closed the door behind me was the silence; no purring engine or exhaust coming from the garage. As I walked the few snowy steps to my car my fears were solidified by the lack of taillights glowing in the dark garage. I hurriedly opened my car door figuring he must have thrown my keys on the seat and felt the first moment of panic when my keys were nowhere to be found. I quickly retraced my steps to the house with intentions of waiting inside while I called Nick, temporarily forgetting that I had just locked the doors behind me. So there I was standing between the garage with no way to start my car and a warm house with no way to get in. I called Nick, trying to keep the fury in my voice to a minimum and then spent the next 15 minutes pondering, WHILE SHIVERING, what happened in the 10 seconds between him agreeing to start my car and driving off in his car with my keys! As expected he had zero explanation for his mistake, I guess I'll be chalking this one up to a case of the Monday's! God, just let me get through this day please!

1 comment:

Marc said...

that sounds like a horrific start ... keep your head up. and get some more cereal after work.