Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Ultimate Diva does Detroit...

Leigh says:
hey there fellow diva
Lisa says:
exhausted diva
Lisa says:
do divas have dark circles and last night's eyeliner still on?
Leigh says:
They do if they got to work on time! I, however feel much more refreshed since I slept through my alarm and just got here!
Lisa says:
I am a jealous mess right now
Leigh says:
yeah...even after 3 advil I still have a tinge of a headache from all that "premium" wine!
Lisa says:
Kind of like that "premium" chicken club sandwich and "premium" service at Ford Field
Leigh says:
Precisely...so let's start at the very beginning...
Lisa says:
yes, let's
Lisa says:
quite an exciting Tuesday night we had
Leigh says:
Indeed! We started the night on a high of excitement to check off yet another of our "must see performers before we die"
Lisa says:
Exactly...this was a momentous show
Leigh says:
Huge! She's the material girl and she hardly ever tours her hometown!
Lisa says:
Welcoming the "proud" hometown girl back to Detroit aftera 7 year absence
Lisa says:
So why not attempt to sell out Ford Field?! I mean the acoustics are amazing...love the echo effect
Lisa says:
But I'm getting ahead of the story...I was actually really proud of our $10 parking spot
Lisa says:
just a block away those suckers were paying $20
Leigh says:
Yes, surrounded by $15 and $20 parking we snapped up a gem of a parking space in a mildly safe lot!
Leigh says:
And our walk really wasn't too bad, on the way into the arena at least!
Lisa says:
I honestly should double check my car for all four hub caps, but I would consider it a minor losss
Lisa says:
I'm really glad we arrived to the arena only 15 minutes after doors were set to open...especially since the doors were NOT open!
Leigh says:
And continued to stay closed for another 15 minutes while a crowd of thousands shivered in the 25 degree weather!
Lisa says:
There is nothing like herding yourself into a pile of 20,000 Madonna fans in freezing weather. Detroit music fans, there is no reason to dress cute for any show ever...you will end up standing outside in subzero temps wishing you left that sexy mini at home
Leigh says:
and even when they did open the doors they only opened half of them and then had to rush people through security...thank god no one wanted to blow up Madonna!
Leigh says:
So after we finally made it inside we were on the prowl for food...at this point any form of food would do because we were starving!
Lisa says:
yes...and a delicious chicken club sandwich was looking pretty tasty
Leigh says:
well yeah, when your options are a hot dog, polish sausage, veggie burger and chicken it's a pretty easy choice!
Lisa says:
I didn't even mind the 30-minute wait for it either...the promise of chicken, lettuce, cheese, tomato and bacon was too hard to pass up
Leigh says:
Oh the disappointment we would soon face....
Lisa says:
no explanation was given, no reason was told for the chicken, bacon and cheese disaster that I paid $8.50 for the pleasure of eating
Leigh says:
So make that a chicken, bun, bacon, and cheese sandwich since they were out of 2 of the most important sandwish items ever, tomato and lettuce!
Lisa says:
How can anyone call a sandwich a "club" without lettuce and tomato!
Leigh says:
But whatever, we slathered it in mustard and relish and stomped off to our seats to scarf down the food
Leigh says:
which of course we had to wait in line for again...to get to our seats that is
Lisa says:
Desperate times call for adding relish to your chicken sandwich
Lisa says:
gross I am totally losing my lunch appetite now
Leigh says:
haha...well at least our quest for alcohol was a little easier even if we did have to wait in line 20 minutes for "premium" wine
Lisa says:
That amazing $7.00 shot of wine really did the trick
Lisa says:
good thing we got two
Leigh says:
Yeah, effeciency, that's what we were looking for, one less time to leave the seats for a second round!
Lisa says:
I discovered that I am not the most talented double-fist drinker ever. I spilled most of one of the drinks down some poor woman's back. Thank god she didn't notice
Leigh says:
OMG, I completely forgot about the woman who walked behind me while we were chowing down and attempted to rip out a quarter of my hair with her coat zipper!!!
Lisa says:
it was actually her coat button and I think most of your hair is still attached to it
Leigh says:
Leigh says:
ah I see...well that was super fun
Lisa says:
I had to remove your hair while putting my face suspiciously close to her crotch...close quarters doesn't even describe the seating arrangement there
Lisa says:
so on to the main event!
Leigh says:
so once we had that first glass of wine down we were able to relax a bit and wait somewhat patiently for the show to begin
Lisa says:
I believe she took the stage promptly at 9:30
Lisa says:
seated on a throne, naturally
Leigh says:
in a leotard and tights...also naturally
Leigh says:
the stage was pretty incredible! There were 2 floor to ceiling sparkly M's phlanking the stage and screens everywhere!
Lisa says:
Very happy with the jumbo screens...I am losing my vision thanks to my desk job and couldn't see the actual person at all'
Leigh says:
Yes, she was rather pint size from our seats out in the boonies
Lisa says:
I was a bit bummed that she played Vogue on top of the music to 4 Minutes
Lisa says:
I mean, if you're going to eventually play 4 Minutes anyways why ruin a classic!
Leigh says:
Yeah, and she played Human Nature with a rock edge as well....one thing about Madonna that we'd heard over and over is that she remixes and redoes all of her songs on tour...
Lisa says:
Yes...and it was true. I think the only remix that really worked was the amazing Like A Prayer
Lisa says:
That whole "Rave" section of songs was pretty awesome
Leigh says:
Oh BTW, Madonna looks ridiculous with a guitar and should stick to shaking her moneymaker!
Lisa says:
Agreed...leave the guitar playing to the musicians
Leigh says:
Like a Prayer was indeed the high point, 1. because we were feeling the full effects of 3 glasses of wine and 2. it was a great dance track that she extended for what seemed like forever!!
Leigh says:
La Isla Bonita was definitely in my top 3 favorites, especially with all the spanish tap dancing!
Lisa says:
That was cool for sure...the mariachi's were a nice touch
Lisa says:
I was really looking forward to Ray of Light, but she downplayed it too much...it could have been a huge dance number
Leigh says:
And I was already bummed knowing she was only playing one song off of Confessions on a Dance Floor and was more bummed when she played it with her damn guitar! Dance Madonna, that's what I paid $100 to see you do, dance and fake sing!
Lisa says:
Seriously...the guitar montages have to go
Leigh says:
Totally! I now see why Nick complained about her concerts, people want to hear the versions of the songs from the original album, not her reinvention of them!
Lisa says:
It reminds me of another famous re-worker, Prince. I don't want to hear a 10 second snippet of Little Red Corvette and then a 25 minute funk jam session
Leigh says:
Yes, so true!!
Leigh says:
Die another day was cool and I'd pay the $100 again to see her play 4 minutes and dance with the video hotness of JT!!!
Lisa says:
Yeah I enjoyed the video for Die Another Day too...her new songs sound better live
Lisa says:
Her outfits weren't that shocking
Lisa says:
One thing about Madonna is she really goes with a trend and sticks with it...very committed to the leotards right now
Leigh says:
Completely agree, I'm totally used to the camel toe now...didn't even phase me!
Lisa says:
Yes, and she loves to crotch shot the crowd...which is totally disturbing when you realize she's 50
Leigh says:
And her 18 dancers put on quite a show as well, it's amazing that she's over 50 and keeps up with her 20 year old dancers with no problem...and her ASS is unfreakingbelievable!!!
Lisa says:
But I will say that whatever Madonna is doing is working for her. I'm about ready to tie on a red string, pray to Kaballah or whatever and eat tofu if I can look like that
Lisa says:
Yeah, it's a nice booty
Leigh says:
she could use a few cheeseburgers but she's aged rather well compared to some concerts we've recently seen (i.e. Janet).
Lisa says:
I think Janet should work out with Madge for a while
Leigh says:
She would probably have to discontinue eating but it might do her some good!!
Lisa says:
And who else but Madonna can end a stadium-size show with no encore?!
Leigh says:
Oh yeah!!! That's right, no freaking encore, who does that?!?
Lisa says:
Normally I would be pissed about that, but for her it's like...well done
Leigh says:
yeah, I guess she can do it, she must have been tired from all that fake singing!
Leigh says:
So, overall how would you rate the concert on a scale of 1 to 10?
Leigh says:
10 being the best
Lisa says:
wow...this is a tough one...there were good times, there were average times...I'll go with a 7. I'd probably give her higher marks if she wasn't at Ford Field
Lisa says:
What is your final score?
Leigh says:
yeah, the Ford Field experience kinda downgraded it but we had a hella good time dancing...we might as well have been at a dance club! I give it a 7 as well, good music but would have preferred the original versions...great performance and visual production and super fun in the end!
Leigh says:
Until we left and walked 4 extra blocks in the frigid heart of Detroit that is....
Leigh says:
sorry bout that...
Lisa says:
The dancing was fun! Especially since no one else around us was dancing...we had the whole row to shake it in
Lisa says:
Oh well it's no one's fault...who knew that we exited via the back entrance!
Lisa says:
I needed to walk off the wine anyways
Leigh says:
Oh hey, what about the couple in front of us with the guy who was trying to execute the stand behind!!!
Leigh says:
I have a picture of him
Lisa says:
Oh I almost forgot!!
Lisa says:
You have two amazing pics that we'll have to post
Lisa says:
The stand behind rebuff and the "white boy gets down" photos
Leigh says:
that poor poor woman, I don't even know her and I could tell from two rows behind that her body language was saying "stop f'ing touching me!"
Lisa says:
I know...it's just painful to watch whenever a stand behind is executed. Ladies - if you fear slow songs and would rather run to the bathroom than stand with your man at the concert, you need to confront him. It's a filthy habit
Leigh says:
totally agree....well readers, I think that's a wrap on our concert review!!
Lisa says:

4 comments:

Lisa said...

To clarify that first picture of the guy: he's not sitting down. That is actually how "low" he got doing his freaky dance. I was thoroughly impressed, actually more so than his lady friend.

Lisa said...

haha...the stand behind is executed primarily by males at concerts. It usually comes during a slow song and is inflicted on an unsuspecting female. The man wraps his arms around the lady in an embrace that more closely resembles prison bars than affection. He's usually intoxicated and a little overly touchy feely at this point, so you can feel the woman's discomfort from a mile away. In the advanced stage, there will be booty groping and slow dancing. You can witness this at most concerts, but for a guaranteed sighting try out a REO Speedwagon/Journey/Stix tour.

The Iron Squirrel said...

So Madonna was in the the Diego on election day and HOLY CRAP I have never seen so many cougars in downtown San Diego in my life. I am really proud that you guys wore something other than corsets and tons of really long necklaces, which is what I saw practically everyone wearing on there way to the concert. But since obviously you are way too young to be cougars I am not suprised. I happen to live right next to Petco, where she played so we got a good listen to the show...would have been nice to go though...although considering she was two hours late maybe not. hehe, just kidding of course:)

Lisa said...

We actually only saw one Madonna look-alive the whole time! The peole watching was not what I had expected. I was certain that hundreds of cougars would be reliving their 80's heyday. Maybe everyone was too cold to care. That's cool you could hear the concert for free...not a bad deal.