Friday, January 16, 2009

Party Fowl!

If you're an animal rights activist you should probably stop reading now because I'm going to offend you. I am not an animal hater, but I'm not an animal lover either. I eat all sorts of animals and I'm thinking I should really up my intake of goose. Specifically Canadian Goose. After watching yesterday's terrifying reports about the U.S. Airways flight going down in the Hudson River after the right engine sucked in a flock of geese, I'm really curious as to why it's illegal to kill those damn birds. Several years ago, a friend of mine nearly went to jail for hitting a goose as it was crossing the street at night and it makes me wonder about our legal system if hitting a bird is on the same jail time level as possession of illegal substances. Clearly there are too many geese and birds in general if airports are forced to employ all sorts of measures to clear the birds from the runways; measures including patrol dogs, falcons flying around the perimeters, high pitched whistle noises to keep them away, etc.... I think we should all do our part and aim for the geese on the road next time!! Okay, so I'm not really that cold hearted!

Birds have been a nemesis of mine as long as I can remember, from the family of geese that attacked my cousin April while we were at Seaworld to the lone flyer who defecated on my head at Mackinac Island on vacation to the disgusting Seagull that felt the need to poop on my bare stomach at the beach after attempting to steal my sandwich. Its clear that birds and I don't get along!! And it's not that we just don't like each other, Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds' scared the heebee jeebees out of me as a child and it didn't have anything to do with them bringing down a plane, now I have to add that to the bird nightmare list! I nearly wet my pants in the Piazza San Marco square in Venice watching my Dad let the pigeons eat the birdseed off of his arms and shoulders, it's like a nightmare come to life!! So anyway, I'm not saying we should all buy firearms and head to the nearest duck pond but I am going to thoroughly enjoy some Peking Duck as soon as possible, P.F. Chang's here I come!!

5 comments:

The Iron Squirrel said...

I cant stand birds, they freak me out for some reason. My boyfriend consistantl gets poo'd upon by birds...supposedly its good luck so thats positive. Also, for some reason they are not actually "Canadian" geese. They are actually "Canada" geese. I have no idea why this is but apparently some Canadians get worked up if you don't refer to them as such. (ah the things you learn from being from northern NY).

Schmebber said...

my brother almost went to jail for running over a goose too...granted, he made absolutely no effort to swerve around the goose, but the goose shouldn't have been hanging out in the road!

Leigh said...

Reminds me of this one time when I was on the way to the airport...and there was this mama duck with all her little ducklings following behind her across the highway...Quack, Quack!!! Splat!

Anonymous said...

A bird pooped on Lisa's head once.

Lisa said...

Yeah...thanks for reminding me! I don't think I got any good luck out of it either.