Tuesday, January 20, 2009

America's Song

Ok, so as excited as I am to watch today's inauguration speech I can't help but want to upchuck a little over yesterday's episode of Oprah. I don't watch a lot of Oprah but I got a treadmill for Christmas and it was installed yesterday afternoon so I tested it out at the same time Oprah was on. To no surprise, she's in D.C. filming at the Kennedy Museum for a special 3-Day inauguration series in support of her winning candidate which I understand, it's a big deal!!! The show started off with guest stars Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher talking about how this day means so much to them and how they've been inspired to serve the community and country and I think that's great!! Demi premiered a commercial she directed which depicts tons of celebs making verbal commitments and promises to do everything from turn off their lights to save energy (P.Diddy), to being a good mother, (Ashlee Simpson) and it's all part of a campaign to work together for the community which is obviously a great cause! So I'm cruising through the episode when I see a, "Coming up next" clip for "THE WORLD PREMIERE OF AMERICA'S SONG" and they show bits of Bono, David Foster, and Will.I.Am in the promo. So I fast forward through the commercials and as the lights go down on stage David Foster starts out on piano with a choir behind him and begins 4:43 minutes featuring Will.I.Am, Faith Hill, Seal, Mary J. Blige singing on stage and the chorus goes, "My America, Your America, Our America is beautiful." So the song isn't great, I mean it's definitely no "We are the World," but it's a sweet little simple song, and then it all goes to hell in a hand basket. About halfway through, via pre-recorded video footage, Bono, shown in a studio with American Flags hanging from every wall, sporting those hideous trademark blue tinted shades, has to go and be a big fat turd. He starts out by flashing peace signs and then moves to some serious fist pumping as he sings his 10 word verse and then they cut to Oprah swaying in the crowd with hands raised high, and I just really wanted to gag!! And btw, I'm well aware he's been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize 3 times and he's been named Man of the Year by Time Magazine, but he's such a tool! Southpark once again hit the nail on the head with their Season 11 "More Crap" episode where Bono is revealed to be an actual giant turd, they're so right!
Maybe I'm too cynical or critical, or maybe I'm just secretly jealous of his amazing sunglass collection. Either way, this whole charade was just a bit much for me to swallow, they said they threw it together in less then a week and you could tell! I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I'm excited for the country's future but it's just gotten to be a little over the top if you ask me. But enough said, here's the link to 'America's Song' from yesterdays episode, you can judge for yourself and tell me if you think I'm way off.

4 comments:

awesome said...

Didn't (and won't) click the link, but couldn't agree with you more

Lisa said...

I thought the Bidens were funny...I might have a weird crush on Joe. Don't ask.

Leigh said...

Oh my gosh, I must get that commemorative plate, but I'm bummed there's a limit on how many I can order, only 2!! I need at least three to finish off my Obama alter!

Anonymous said...

I love my Oprah but I might have thrown up a little. Quick question... isn't Seal from England and Bono from Ireland? Like residing and still citizens there? Did I miss something along the way?