Monday, January 12, 2009

The Golden Globes




I know you're all busy spending your days and nights worrying if Anne Hathaway will indeed win an Oscar for her performace in Rachel Getting Married (is that movie even released yet?). And I know you've lost countless hours of sleep over the cinderella story of the year: Slumdog Millionaire. As those of us in the entertainment industry know, the Globes are always a pretty strong forecast of what's going to happen at the main event. Truth be told, I only caught the last hour of the 5 hour long telecast (including the Red Carpet Spectacular), but I have access to the internet here so was able to catch up on all the drama and hijinks that I missed! Here are a few of the highlights and lowlights:

- Kate Winslet wins for BOTH Supporting Actress and Actress!
Take that little miss Hathaway! I don't really know why, but I have something against Anne Hathaway right now. I think it might be the fact that she's been writing her Oscar acceptance speech since May...or maybe it's because she does one non-chick flick movie and suddenly transforms into Meryl Streep...I dunno. Either way, I think Kate deserved both awards because she's just that awesome.

- Slumdog Millionaire wins almost everything
They snagged the Best Picture Globe and it looks like smooth sailing to the Oscars. I saw Frost/Nixon last night and now I'm torn between these two for Best Picture. But, you gotta love an underdog and that Bollywood dance at the end kinda seals the deal for me.

- Mickey Rourke wins Best Actor!
Don't call it a comeback! But that's actually what it is, so yeah you can call it a comeback. His acceptance speech was one of the best last night. From his underwhelmed expression (Kate...take notes) to his expletive exchange with Director Darren Aronofsky...pure gold. Now if only the rumors about him hooking it up with Evan Rachel Wood were just nasty gross lies. But somehow I can see her thought process here - Mickey Rourke doesn't look so bad nekkid after Marilyn Manson. Sorry...I just dry heaved a little.

- Sasha Baron Cohen bombs
He came out to introduce Benjamin Button as a Best Picture nom and failed to get the swanky crowd laughing. Specifically, he made a crack about Madonna firing her personal assistant (aka Guy Ritchie) and the celebs couldn't contain their displeasure. Expect Sasha to disappear under suspicious circumstances within the next few weeks.

- Brad and Angelina run away from Seacrest during Red Carpet
I didn't see this live, but Seacrest has been talking about it all morning. I guess he tried to drag them over to the E! booth several times, but Ange wasn't having it. He really doesn't get it. They are not there to answer silly questions or talk to mere mortals. They are there to look fabulous and make everyone else feel terrible about themselves.

- Some of those dresses were hideous!
As usual, there are many best and worst dressed lists floating around online. I've posted a few select pictures here for your viewing pleasure. As always, it's much more fun to talk about the bad, so let's focus on that. Drew Barrymore's hair made her look like a 1950's housewife that popped a few too many pills. Volume can be a good thing, but I thought this was going to take flight. Renee Zellweger's dress is just beyond. Beyond bad. Yes, it's see through on top, but is she wearing a nude colored bra??? The black dress and the fit just gave me a creepy Addams Family vibe.

On a positive note, Eva Longoria looked stunning in her looong red gown.

Last but not least: Ricky Gervais is hilarious
He walked onstage with a pint glass, scolded the crowd of movie stars for talking over him and then proceeded to tease Kate Winslet about finally listening to him about making a Holocaust movie. Everyone knows, Holocaust movies = big awards!
I vote for him to host the Oscars next year...a little good-humored ribbing is exactly what they need.

5 comments:

awesome said...

I kind of dig Renee's dress...yeah, I know.

Lisa said...

Wow! Really?? Maybe I just don't like big hair. My first reaction was that she looked way older than normal.

Awesome - do you like it because it's see through or because you wish you were goth?

awesome said...

I am goth, just don't like wearing black. The dress is see-through???

Lisa said...

Yeah and she's wearing a nude colored bra!! Grossss

Leigh said...

I kind of agree with you Spontaneous, I thought Drew's whole look was pretty cool, definitely fit the vibe of the dress. Very retro and dramatic!!