Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year - 2009!


And I'm back! Sorry for the slight delay in posting my year end reviews. New Year's Eve happened and I have a lot of explaining to do. See I did something that I'm only now beginning to fully understand. I'm not proud of it and if I could go back to that moment and do it all over again, I wouldn't feel the shame and embarrassment. Yes, the last few days I've been wrestling with a decision I made. A decision that in effect kicked off my next 365 days and will forever be the first thing I did in 2009. I requested Britney Spears' hit single Womanizer.

Now before you condemn me and point fingers...maybe even say "I told you so", allow me to explain. After reflecting on my choice for the past 48 hours (most of which I was in and out of consciousness), I have come to the conclusion that it's not a terrible song. I am owning up to my decision (and it was MY decision, no one forced me) and trying to look on the bright side. I can't lie and pretend like I didn't want to request the song or even (the classic) blame it on the alcohol. No, I was fully aware of my surroundings when I chose to write "Britney Spears Womanizer" on the DJ request list. I even ignored the pleas of the DJ and blocked out the sounds of my friends begging me not to do it. Nothing was going to get in my way. My irresponsible actions could have led to massive dance floor buzz kill or even the worst case scenario, solo dance off. But luck was on my side that evening, the dancing continued, and the only trauma I have to deal with is in my own head. I'm slowly getting over the initial shock, moving into sadness, and will eventually within the next few minutes likely arrive at acceptance.

There...I accept it. Sometimes you just want to let go of it all and request a little Britney. I don't care what others may say anymore...put her crazy ass on and I will dance. And now, in 2009, I have the confidence to admit this in public.

Happy New Year!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hate you for doing that.

awesome said...

...as do I

Anonymous said...

I hate you now too Jon. Although I give Devo 2 points for the ass-slap. Why are there so many tv's in that room???

Lisa said...

I am speechless Jon. That was 4 minutes of pure dance joy. How many times did you guys have to practice that?!