Friday, February 13, 2009

WTF - quick hits


I just returned from a quick work trip to Tampa FLA and wow...our weather sucks. It was 75 and partially sunny for the 24 hours I was there. A person could get used to that in February.

I have two items that I wanted to touch on briefly today under the new category WTF. My first WTF moment this morning came when I read an article on People.com that Mandy Moore and Ryan Adams are engaged...engaged to be married. Now I knew that they had dated briefly a few months ago and I was stunned even about that. Then there was a break up and an awkward moment when she went back to her ex DJ AM. But in true Hollywood style, she is now not only back with Ryan Adams but she's also planning to wed him until death do them part. That's Mandy Moore, singer of teen pop single "Candy" and Ryan Adams, curmudgeonly older indie star that hides behind his hair and sadness. WTF do these two have in common?! Oh now I know...they both have zero street cred. Adams just lost his by proposing to MANDY MOORE. What's next? Britney Spears gets engaged to Joaquin Phoenix? I just don't get it.

My next WTF item is a poorly researched bit on Lady GaGa. I hesitate to make a call on this one yet because I don't know that much about her. I'm just perplexed by her image vs. her music. See photo. Her outfits are writing checks that her music just can't cash. Now, according to Wikipedia she is an art school grad that supposedly makes electro-glam music inspired by Bowie and the like. Sounds awesome...so WTF is up with her hit single "Just Dance"? Maybe it's a fluke and it's not really representative of "her sound" but that still does NOT excuse a cameo by Akon in the video. Akon?! You dress like that and you name yourself Lady GaGa and then you collaborate with AKON?! Somewhere Goldfrapp is rolling over in her grave (except that she's not dead, but just go with it). Something smells fishy about this whole package. I want to like her and I like the idea of her, but don't label it one way and then serve it up with a side of Akon. I'm going to be patient with this one, but if I hear anymore of this pop drivel she's going into the permanent WTF files.

Happy weekend!

No comments: