Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Junior high celebrity...

It seems like just the other day I felt my heart go pitter-patter when Nathan Worley asked to me to skate with him at the 6th grade rollerskating party which meant I finally got to hold hands with a boy!! Those were the days when everything was simple, you met up on the playground, played TV tag and 4 square and hoped to be chased by the cutest boy in class. So fast forward to last Friday night when I found myself surrounded by about 300 6th, 7th, and 8th graders getting their groove on at the West Middle School Valentine's Day dance where I had suddenly become the chaperon. Wow, have times changed.

Nick volunteered to help chaperon at the school where he student teaches and I thought it would be fun to help out so we headed on over to the school gym at 7pm for the festivities to begin. For about 4 months Nick has been student teaching with the 6th grade language arts teacher and has told his students a lot about me and even brought in some pictures of our wedding. When the kids heard I was coming to the dance they were reportedly very excited to finally meet Mrs. B. Truthfully I think they all have a crush on Nick and just wanted to check out the competition.

Unless Dyingtobedivas gets suddenly picked up by TMZ or The Enquirer the junior high dance was probably the peak of my celebrity status. I was a total star!! As soon as we stepped in the gym all the 6th grade girls ran over to meet me, and sweetly told Mr. B how pretty I was, it was great!!! I've never felt so liked in my life...I hope I get to do this every year! I don't care if they're only 12, I'm not here to discriminate against who wants to make me feel good!

Alright, alright, I'll get back to the original point of this post...so the head of the student council asked us to roam the gym, halls, and rooms that were open just so kids could see there were always adults around. The first thing I noticed was the tight security. They essentially have a guest list of kids that are allowed to participate and kids that have been banned, the kids that have been banned have usually gotten in trouble for bad behavior during the previous week so they are not allowed to join in. A couple of these kids showed up and their parents were called right away to pick them up since they weren't allowed to attend. Next I noticed that the kids don't really dance like we used to...or at least how I remember it. They played mostly top 40 (the edited versions) and the kids were all spread out in clusters around the gym where the girls would occasionally break into little dance circles, although it really just looked like hopping around to me. Then the slow song came on and suddenly the boys were moving, it was so cute to watch some of them get up the courage to ask a girl to dance and thankfully I never saw a little guy get rejected. When the girl said yes they would immediately plant their feet and put their arms on the other one's shoulders or waist and then sway...WITHOUT MOVING THEIR FEET AT ALL!! Is that how we all used to slow dance at these things? I could have sworn I moved my feet! Then I saw two tiny little boys start to break dance, and they were awesome! They were doing backspins on the floor and the middle splits, none of the guys in my class could do that stuff! It was all really cute and I was thinking about how fun it would be to have a junior high aged kid! It was about that time that I saw a group of kids standing in a circle, a mix of 7th and 8th graders I later found out, and watched a 7th grade boy move his hand from an 8th grade girl's upper back slowly heading downward until he rested his hand on her ass and took a great big squeeze...and the worst part is that the girl was totally into it!! Thankfully the shop teacher stepped in and asked the boy to keep his grimy little hand off her butt. This was all the birth control I needed!! Mostly the kids were well behaved except for the two little 8th grade hellions who were caught drinking behind the dumpster...the dumpster?? Who wants to drink behind a dumpster?!? All in all it was a really fun night and hilarious to think back to how big a deal these kinds of events were back in our day, even though I can't quite remember junior high dances since my school didn't allow dancing which is super lame!!

1 comment:

kelsarch said...

be glad that's all you saw! i've heard of some major horror stories going on in the junior high level... anyone ask you to dance even though you weren't allowed to? any boys get crushes on you too?