Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ain't No Shame in This Game

I'm sold. I love it, love Eharmony. It's by far the most entertaining experience I've ever had online. Gone are the negative feelings I had yesterday. Now the only feeling I have is awesomeness. I don't even know where to begin. First some stats: I've been matched with 80 guys in the Metro Detroit area ranging from ages 25-36. 99.5% are engineers. To my disappointment 0% of them are rock stars. It's only day two though. They all read self-help and business motivation books (this is without exception). I had to immediately "Close Communication" with one of them because he listed a book by Donald Trump as his favorite. I'd say 99% list "keeping physically fit" as their number one hobby (it's a regular gun show). The majority of profiles are really similar which is partly Eharmony's fault for structuring it the way they do. You can't really get creative with your profile so you see the same three answers to every question (1. keeping physically fit, 2. managing my finances, 3. creating romance in a relationship). It's painfully obvious that these guys read the same Maxim article about how ladies love buff, rich, romantic men. It gets boring actually reading the profiles after a while because no one comes off as unique or creative or different in anyway. I think I prefer reading myspace or facebook profiles because at least you can see what music, movies, TV shows, etc. people like. I mean if I go through this whole process and find out that my coffee date loves Nickelback, we're going to have a problem. Anyways, the best part and perhaps the most telling are the photos. I usually just go right for the photos and skip the profile all together - let's be honest. There was a 30-year-old who posted his high school senior picture because he didn't have any others...riiiight, a nice looking head shot of a guy that was followed up by him and his giant beer belly on a boat, a guy inexplicably wearing a bunny suit, a couple serial killers, web cams galore, and countless "oh hi there, I just got out of the shower, wrapped this towel around me and took a cell phone shot" cheese balls. It's so voyeuristic, I absolutely love it. So where am I? Well, I responded to one guy's multiple choice questions (did I mention he was a doctor?). I figure at least he's saving lives and not taking them. Overall, I've really warmed up to it and am looking forward to answering many more cookie cutter multiple choice questions. At least this way I can't mess anything up for a while, which is kinda genius.

1 comment:

the roe family said...

very fun - keep us posted!