Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sporcle

I don't have a clue what Sporcle actually means but I have my own definition: "An amazing way to kill anywhere from 10 minutes to an entire Friday night on the couch!" Thanks to my bro-in-law Toph, I was recently turned onto this website which he found after he got trapped at our house last Saturday evening while his car keys were stuck with Nick and I for the night in Howell. Sporcle.com is a gaming website advertising "mentally stimulating diversions," for anyone who has a few minutes, a brain, and a computer. A simple front page will show you the newest games and they're all basically trivia quizzes. Currently the newest games are Brazilian Footballers, Top Rated TV (US), Move Score Composers, Palindromic Words, 80's Video Games, etc... Yesterday I played U.S. State names and they showed a map of the U.S. and I had to type in every state name in under 10 minutes, ( I got 49/50, Missouri was staring right at me and I couldn't think of it for the life of me!). Today I tried company logos and they showed 30ish logos that you tried to name in under the allotted time. Some of the quizzes give clues, like in the palindromic words: "A fast moving vehicle" - you type in RaceCar. While some of the stuff is trivial, I actually think these little quizzes could be a healthy way to spend a few minutes. With 15 categories ranging from Entertainment, Holidays, History, all the way to science and even a random category, its easy to test your knowledge of countries, capitals, word games, amino acids, animal adjectives, etc... And after playing Catchphrase last weekend its clear that everyone could stand to brush up on some of these categories, especially European capitals! It's easy to log on, you don't have to sign up for anything and you won't be barraged with advertisements so give it a try the next time you're bored at the office or when everyone ditches you on a Friday night!

1 comment:

Kirsten Alana said...

Lovely, another internet diversion...as if there weren't enough already ;-)

LOL