Tuesday, March 10, 2009

God Bless the U.S.A.

I'm a firm believer that fun is created. It doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing, it's about the people you're with, your attitude, and the ability to make anything fun. My theory was tested to damn near the breaking point last Friday night.

When it comes to going out I think I'm pretty low maintenance. I enjoy high class martini bars, dance clubs, hole in the wall dive bars, karaoke joints, sports bars, Irish pubs, etc...and there are few places I just won't go. Friday night started out at the Whitmore Lake Tavern where Nick and I met up with most of his extended family for dinner. We'd already agreed to go out with the fun Aunts, Uncles, and cousins afterward and left the plans to them. When I first heard that we were going to a place with karaoke I thought, "Great, we always have a good time when Nick can belt out the sounds of Neil Diamond, Milli Vinilli, and John Secada!" So it came as a bit of a surprise when I heard that it was the South Lyon VFW hall who was hosting a karaoke night. I have nothing against VFW halls in theory and I've been in at least one with my Dad and don't recall having any negative memories of my visit there. I feel great pride for my Dad who served in the Army in the early 70's and think it's great for veterans to have an official place to gather and be recognized. I now realize that whatever memories I have of a VFW Hall were completely deluded. Just two steps into the building and my nose and eyes were assaulted by the wall of smoke hanging in the air. It makes logical sense why they lack proper ventilation since there are hardly any windows!! This VFW hall might as well be carved into the side of a mountain because it was basically a dark gloomy cave! Another few steps into the hall and it was clear we were the youngest patrons by about 30 years. We got the once over from everyone in the room and I was suddenly aware of how overdressed I was in my Joe's Jeans, boots, short sleeve aqua bar top and cardigan. I'm not sure if the Vets have ritual where they get pumped up for a night out by hunting something before they make their way to the bar but they were definitely prepared to do so in their camouflage shorts, pants, jackets, and hats. If you've ever been to a NASCAR race the crowd is quite similar, lots of Goodwrench hats, race team jackets, a plethora of beer company T-shirts, and a serious need for an army of dentists!


Nick was the first one to sing and generally Sweet Caroline really gets the crowd going. The audience; however, didn't seem to feel the connection with Nick. I think they thought he was taking himself seriously when he threw a few fist pumps high into the air and danced around to the beat. Normally people join in on the "Bah, bah, bah" parts or the "So good, So good, So good" interludes but it was pretty quiet and stone faced around that room besides our table. This though, proved to be just a result of the early hour, (it was only 8pm), and veteran's and their friends sure can drink. And once they get the heavy drinking going, they don't even mind dancing. Notice the pictures I've included with this post. The gentleman in the green sweatshirt and tapered jeans was quite the ladies man, taking countless females to the dance floor where he'd slow dance or really get his groove on and dip down to the floor. And some of the women really embraced their sexy sultry side later on in the evening with their booty shaking, swaying, and hair flipping, it was quite a party! Overall it turned out to be an okay night, the people watching alone was pretty entertaining, I think next time I'll just need to drink more!

No comments: