Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Diary of a Newlywed...collection schmollection

Single ladies out there rejoice! You are free from the incredulous looks, rolling eyeballs, sighs of disbelief and outright comments about your shopping habits. When you feel lonely watching that sickeningly affectionate couple in the park feeding each other frozen yogurt just remember that you can go to the store, buy a $140.00 pair of jeans or a $79.99 pair of black strappy BCBG heels and no one will guilt you, ask how many pairs of Joe's Jeans or black heels you already own, or accuse you of being addicted to shoes, and that is a beautiful thing. Now you may end up guilting yourself and catch a case of buyer's remorse but that's easier to deal with as you are your own checkbook keeper! What husbands, boyfriends, significant others generally fail to understand is that clothing, accessories, and shoes don't stay in style forever! Yes I might have a few, (okay 9), pairs of black heels stashed in my closet but they all serve very different purposes and none of them are this summer's must have gladiator, super strappy sandal! Don't point at that pair of black velvet pumps with silver trim on the shelf because they are so obviously made for fall and winter, you don't see people donning velvet dresses in the summer do you? Nope, that's because it's a Fall and Winter fabric.

Remember the old adage, "you can never have too many pairs of black heels,"? Well it's time tested and Diva approved so I say shop on! Now this post is starting to make Nick look really bad and I just need to say that he's very supportive of my trying to look stylish, fashionable and current so he rarely gives me any grief when I come home with bags full of goodies from TJMaxx or Marshalls on a bi-weekly basis. I have no debt and live well within my means, (although I could do a little better job contributing to my savings but shopping is so much more gratifying!), and he's never serious when giving me grief but he does like to put in his two cents about how my shoe collection, (that's right people it's a collection and collections are meant to grow!), is out of control.

A few days ago the grief giving came to an end.

I was cleaning the house last Thursday when I heard the doorbell ring so I checked outside and noticed a large box sitting on the porch from Amazon. Nick is addicted to ordering everything possible in bulk from Amazon so we get these types of boxes regularly but I wasn't expecting anything since we are currently stocked full of paper towel, toilet paper, dishwasher detergent, etc. Imagine my surprise when opening the box to find not one, not two, not three, but four pairs of Adidas street shoes inside the box! I was flabbergasted! Hadn't I just picked up two practically brand new pairs of his white Adidas street shoes lying around the house?!? Hadn't I stacked three full rows of these types of shoes in his closet? And here were four more that looked exactly the same to me except for a few different trim colors! What do they sell shoes like cans of green beans now...buy 3 get the 4th one free?!? I thought about it and decided that couldn't be right, he probably wasn't sure what they looked like in the pictures so he ordered them all and would decide to keep one, maybe two. After some serious grief giving text messages I was proven seriously wrong; they were in fact on sale and he planned to keep every one of them. I thought about giving him some serious shit when he got home but after a few moments a huge grin spread across my face and I nearly jumped for joy because this was exactly what I needed! The street shoes are like my high heel collection and he couldn't say another word about me buying too many shoes without the fear of being struck down by a bolt of lightening from his conscience! I'm free! Free as a bird to while away the hours at DSW, Marshalls, Macy's, Nordstrom any shoe store I please to find yet another unneeded pair of shoes!

2 comments:

awesome said...

To be honest Leigh, I've never seen your shoe collection. But I'd venture to guess that most everyone has seen Nick's as they usually find a home on every square inch of flooring you have in that house...every square inch of NON closet flooring that is. Not raggin on the guy, cause I'm no different. Just saying I support you.

Leigh said...

Well thankyou for not only noticing but pointing out that I'm not the one leaving caddilac sized tennis shoes all around the house to trip over!