Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Where's George?


I'm full of interesting Internet discoveries today! Today is another big lottery day here in Michigan. Our company plays the Mega Millions lottery pool so I had to come up with two dollar bills to win my mega millions. As I was handing off my dollars, I noticed a red stamp on one of the bills that read "Track me at www.wheresgeorge.com." Who is going to ignore a stamp like that? Not me. As far as I'm concerned this is my lucky dollar. So I visited http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ and found a very interesting site devoted to tracking the comings and goings of dollar bills. You enter the serial number and the year it was printed and shazaam! up comes the history of your jet-setting dollar bill.


My dollar bill wasn't as well-traveled as some as it had only been registered in Pennsylvania in 2006, but after today who knows where the road could lead. I've never felt so connected to a dollar before, and I really hope it has a safe and fruitful journey (and never ends up in a stripper's g-string).


After reading about the previous owner of my bill (you can create a full profile and expound upon the condition of the bill and how it arrived in your pocket), I read the histories of their Top 10 bills. It's fascinating stuff. One bill has traveled thousands of miles, through hundreds of fast food restaurants, used as dozens of tips, and was eventually found floating around in Times Square.


Clearly I'm a bit slow today at the office. If you'd like to read up on the adventures of our currency, visit http://www.wheresgeorge.com/. Next time you see a little red stamp on your George Washingtons, make sure you let someone know that it's safe and sound.

9 comments:

Leigh said...

Look at you, two in one day! I've never been so proud!

Leigh said...

Nice use of shazaam by the way.

awesome said...

Looks your $2 Million in project management is on hold this morning?

As you can imagine, I see these bills quite often. Haven't tracked one yet, though.

Lisa said...

I know...I'm so prolific! I might even post some poetry or perhaps a short story today. I've often wanted to use Shazaam in my writing!

Awesome - you are UnAmerican.

awesome said...

UnAmerican?!?! Where do you get that from ya Frenchie?!

Lisa said...

Listen Van Winger...don't start with that. I'll out your entire name on this blog.

awesome said...

I'm trembling

Lisa said...

I haven't seen you tremble like this since the Top Thrill Dragster.

awesome said...

I wasn't so much trembling as I was frozen