Thursday, August 20, 2009

Diary of a newlywed...Draft Picks Part 1

Its that time of year again, and one that people either live for or despise, football season. I've never understood the whole Fantasy Football thing and never really cared to. I just thank my lucky stars that Nick isn't obsessed with it because lord knows I already get an earfull about the upcoming season. It was during a conversation when I was questioning the purpose of the fantasy football draft that I found myself asking a bigger question, "why do guys love drafting stuff so much?" They televise the professional sports drafts for entire days, there are the fantasy leagues for fake drafting and even draft parties, I just don't get it! But then I realized it's all just a form of competition and guys can pretty much get themselves revved up to do just about anything when there's competition involved. That's when I had an idea, "what if I incorporated competition and drafting into other unexpected areas of our life?" And here's the first place that idea lead me...

Nick and I have a real love for our bed, maybe even an obsession. We spend as much time as possible in bed doing an array of things from The Nasty, Facebook stalking, solving world hunger, watching Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives, passing out after drinking too much, watching Gwar on Red Eye, to of course sleeping.

We're not one of those couples who has been working 8-5 jobs so long that we automatically wake up at 7am to get yard work done on weekends, nosiree, you will still find us snoozing away until nearly noon on most Saturdays and Sundays when we get the opportunity to do so and I don't feel one single bit of guilt over it! One of the first things I did after we got married was to go out and spend way too much money on my dream bed, a king-size upholstered Hollywood Regency meets modern style bed from Crate and Barrel and some luxurious high thread-count sheets that were worth every penny! If you've ever seen our bed you'll immediately notice that it only looks about 4 feet long because the top 4 feet of it is taken up by a mountain of pillows. Seven to be exact. We're both pretty territorial about which pillows we prefer and which pillowcases go on them. Nick is always stealing my pillows and I hate one of the pillowcases that he insists on keeping on his favorite pillow, (he's named the pillow/case combination "Red Squishy", I know feel free to gag), because it's red and nothing else in our room or bedding is red so it just sticks out like a sore thumb. Well I was getting pretty tired of being the only one to change the sheets and putting my favorite pillowcases on my favorite pillows only to have them stolen for a night to get drooled on by my beloved husband. I'd had enough of the fighting over the best pillows and pillowcases and I came up with an idea to put an end to it. The Pillow Draft. Here's how I laid it out. My first rule was an effort to get some help with the bi-weekly changing of the sheets so I told Nick that whoever remade the bed with clean sheets got the first pick of both the pillow and pillowcase overall which is a very big deal. From there we each take turns drafting our pillowcases and pillows (all of which we have names for) or trading our picks for a certain pillowcase. We even have a whole ceremony to begin the draft process. Are we nerds? Yes, but its totally worked and now we don't haggle over whose pillow is whose, we pick our own and stick with them for the next two weeks!

3 comments:

awesome said...

Are these the same comfy high thread-count sheets I was so privileged to have slept in? In the guest bed, that is.

Leigh said...

No they are not but those are great too! I still gotta send you a link to buy those...I'll get on it.

kelsarch said...

wow... married life sounds so exciting