Friday, July 10, 2009

not okay...

After several of our friends raved and insisted that we go see the latest comedy flick The Hangover, Nick and I finally made it to the theater a few weeks ago. We went to see it on a Tuesday night, a rarity for us, but Nick isn't working and there was a showing that allowed me to be in bed by 11pm so I decided to live on the edge for an evening. At first things seemed to be going our way. We walked up to the box office expecting to pay the exorbitant price of $10.00 per person and were delighted to see that all non new-release movies Sunday-Thursday are just $5.00 a ticket, for anybody at any showtime! Great, I thought! This allowed me to mostly guilt free spend the other $10.00 I saved on a buttery popcorn and diet Pepsi. Since the movie had been out for a few weeks it was in a smaller theater but we got there in time to get great middle-half-way up seats. I had to snicker when the previews started and I heard the distinctive cracking sound of a beer can opening and looked over to find a few college co-eds slugging back some brewskis but knowing what this movie was about, I wasn't surprised by the all adult crowd. About half way into the previews I noticed someone wheel something into the theater. After focusing my eyes for a second I realized with shock that it was a guy pushing a stroller! His wife or girlfriend was behind him and in a matter of seconds pulled out a bumbling little tyke from the carriage and left the stroller by the stairwell. Thoughts of, "Surely they are not bringing a 1ish year old child into a movie theater, and an adult themed movie at that!" Boy was I wrong, they scanned the rows for open seats and I secretly prayed that they wouldn't ask Nick or I to move and make room for their little guy in the seat next to us. The seats were mostly full but they managed to find 2 in the row directly behind us, which after doing the math in my head meant that one of them would have to hold the baby throughout the entire show. Now, I have friends and family that have small children and I totally understand that parents need to get out and see movies too but is it normal to take them to a rated R movie where the rest of the audience is adult?? I know they don't get what's going on when they're that young but the kid was chirping, gurgling, screeching, and laughing all throughout the movie! There's a reasonable chance I'll eat my words in the next 10 years when I want to see a movie and no one can babysit my kid and I really don't feel like going to see G-Force, (that horrendous looking movie about hamster FBI agents), where all the other kids will be laughing and making noise through it but I'll at least give the baby some benadryl or brandy! Okay so I'm kidding, I won't drug my child so I can go see a dumb movie but I can't ever see myself imposing on other people like that. Now did it ruin the movie? No because the movie was absolutely hysterical and Bradley Cooper is totally on my free pass list but it was certainly annoying and I just want to let everyone know that I swear to only take my super young kids to kid friendly movies where they can laugh, scream, upchuck, etc... and it will seem totally appropriate.

BTW, the hype is totally worth it, The Hangover is hilarious!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Bradley Cooper is on my free pass list too and I don't even need one.

awesome said...

Had a 3 year old running up and down the stairs at Dark Knight...I wasn't too pleased with that situation and offered the father my best "death stare." It actually worked, he took the kid out of there. So try one of those next time!